“Would you tell me please, which way I ought to go from here?” asked Alice. “That depends a good deal on where you want to get to,” replied the Cat. – Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland.
The term, Definite Chief Aim, comes from the success philosophy of Napoleon Hill – especially his landmark books, The Law of Success (1928) and Think and Grow Rich (1937). Thirty years ago, my boyfriend’s mother gave me a copy of Think and Grow Rich. The boyfriend didn’t last long but the gift from his mother started me on a lifelong journey of discovery into the power of thought. I remember the thrill of recognition I felt upon first reading these words:
“Truly, thoughts are things, and powerful things at that when they are mixed with definiteness of purpose, persistence, and a burning desire for their translation into riches, or other material objects.”
A strongly held Definite Chief Aim transforms your mind into a powerful magnet which attracts the people and circumstances necessary for you to accomplish your desire. It’s the first step in turning invisible desires into visible reality. Without a clear direction, it’s all too easy to drift through life, like a ship without a rudder. The Magic of a Definite Chief Aim helps you organize, direct and harness the infinite power of your mind.
Once you have clarity about what you want and why you want it, you’re ready to follow these steps to attain your Definite Chief Aim:
1) Write a Clear Description of your Definite Chief Aim. Years ago, before Arnold Schwarzenegger had made his mark on Hollywood, he stated his Definite Chief Aim: “I am going to be the number-one box-office star in all of Hollywood.” Explaining how he intended to accomplish this feat, he said:”What you do is create a vision of who you want to be, and then live into that picture as if it were already true.” In 1991, receipts from Terminator II confirmed Schwarzenegger to be the most popular box office draw in the world, thus successfully accomplishing his Definite Chief Aim.
2) Include a Clear Statement of What You Intend to Give in Return. As I’m sure you agree, there’s no such thing as something for nothing. To get what you want, it’s important to decide what you will give in return. Oprah’s Definite Chief Aim has been to make a positive difference in the lives of millions of people. “As far back as I can recall,” she says, “my prayer has been the same: Use me, God. Show me how to take who I am, who I want to be, and what I can do, and use it for a purpose greater than myself.” Oprah has achieved phenomenal success for herself and others by focusing on a purpose greater than herself.
3) Believe You Can and Will Attain Your Definite Chief Aim. What you attain is limited only by your capacity to believe you can have it. To believe you can have what you want, keep thinking thoughts of having what you want. Magnetize your mind with positive affirmations. Visualize, imagine and feel yourself already in possession of your desire. In 1987, Jim Carrey was a struggling comic and part-time dishwasher, dreaming of fame and fortune. In addition to affirmations and visualizations, he wrote himself a check for $10 million and dated it Thanksgiving 1995, adding the notation “for acting services rendered.” In the Fall of 1995, he did in fact reach his Definite Chief Aim when he signed a $10 million contract to film “The Mask.”
4) Take Inspired Action. Tune in to guidance and inspiration from your Non-Physical Partner. When you listen to your inner voice and follow the guidance you receive, you are truly co-creating with Source. You don’t have to do it all alone. Your intuition will lead you step by step in the direction of your Definite Chief Aim.
5) Persevere. To accomplish your Definite Chief Aim, you must stay the course. If your Definite Chief Aim is based on a burning desire for its achievement, you will be able to persevere through doubts and difficulties. Remember that the dominating thoughts of your mind WILL transform themselves into physical reality. Thomas Edison had a Definite Chief Aim to create the electric light bulb. He persevered through 10,000 failed attempts before successfully realizing his dream.
“If you don’t have a dream, how you gonna have a dream come true?” – from the movie, South Pacific
Vitalize and thoroughly saturate your mind with your Definite Chief Aim. Concentrate on the end result as you see and feel and believe yourself already in possession of it. Your Definite Chief Aim is a blueprint that will lead you, step by step, toward its attainment. It’s a bridge between your dream and your reality. Remember to keep your vibration high while following the above steps and you’ll joyfully engage The Magic of A Definite Chief Aim!