Breaking News

Family, neighborhood remembers Dee McCoy

SOUTH BEND — Officials have determined the guy who died Thursday in an explosion and fire on Kenmore Street, as the man’s loved ones and close friends remember him as a group fixture and warm man or woman. 

Dee McCoy, 68, was in his property in the 200 block of Kenmore on Thursday close to 11 a.m. when neighbors heard a loud “pop” and called 911. As South Bend firefighters responded to the explosion and ensuing hearth, McCoy’s spouse and children and neighbors gathered in shock just after mastering of McCoy’s death.

“He was quite loving, very warm,” explained Shirley Roe, McCoy’s sister.  

Canneth Lee, McCoy’s nephew and a Frequent Council member, said his uncle was a mainstay on the west side of South Bend.

“He was a pretty special individual. Always telling jokes, often uplifting folks and encouraging,” Lee explained. 

Far more:Man dies right after property explodes and catches hearth near Charles Black Heart in South Bend

Lee said McCoy’s loss of life is hitting hard because of its suddenness and due to the fact the relatives is now mourning the loss of Lee’s fantastic uncle, James Fox, who died of pure causes earlier in the 7 days. 

“This is a tragedy,” Lee explained. “Dee has two sons and a whole lot of family members who beloved him and cared for him. He was this kind of a dynamic individual, to eliminate him in this tragic way is challenging.” 

McCoy was an achieved athlete at Washington Large School and participated in both equally football and wrestling, his family claimed. 

He taught courses at Ivy Tech in the early 1990s, encouraging young people to pursue education and learning via the school’s Teenager 2000s method. He was also a expert carpenter, Lee explained, right before a back again injury slowed him down.

Norma Blackmon, who lives two houses down from McCoy on Kenmore Road, reported she remembers seeing “nothing but flames” and hearing neighbors screaming as the fireplace began Thursday early morning. 

Blackmon moved to Kenmore Road 3 a long time in the past and explained McCoy was always kind to people in the community. 

“He was always sweet and generally experienced a great phrase for a individual,” she said. “If you had been having a lousy working day, he may not even know it, but he gave you something fantastic for that day. That’s what I am heading to try to remember him on.” 

Firefighters are however investigating the induce of the fireplace, though Lee explained McCoy was generally cold and kept a kerosene heater in his place. 

Deputy St. Joseph County Coroner Randy Magdalinski said preliminary indications classify McCoy’s death as a “fire dying.” 

“… It appears at this time he died of smoke inhalation and thermal burns,” Magdalisnki said. 

An autopsy for McCoy is scheduled for Saturday morning. 

However McCoy is now gone, Lee stated he will keep in mind his uncle for encouraging him to normally try out his most effective and stay grounded. 

“He always taught me to be accurate to who I am,” Lee said. “He taught me to normally do my most effective and treat people today correct and in no way, in no way settle for next ideal.” 

Electronic mail Marek Mazurek at mmazurek@sbtinfo.com. Follow him on Twitter: @marek_mazurek

Exit mobile version