Being happy is not genetic; it is a state of mind. Abraham Lincoln said, “Most people are as happy as they make up their mind to be.” With that being said, it is evident that many of us have a hard time deciding to be happy and actually staying in that happy place. Some of us invite in drama, the depressing news, or our own self-defeating behaviors, and then we wonder why we just don’t feel happy. There will always be outside circumstances that may sway us temporarily but wouldn’t it be nice to stay in that happy place regardless of ups and downs?
You can get to that place of sustainable happiness and stay there. Consistently happy people have several things in common that they do on a regular basis including some that we have shared below. Start incorporating these into your daily life and get to that happy place!
1. Choose to be happy! First and foremost, it is a choice if you want to be happy or if you want to be miserable. Life happens and as long as we let it rock our world and we feel like the victim, we can never achieve true happiness. Make a decision to be happy even if it is for a short time each day. Eventually you will have happier days and it will become natural.
2. Choose to take care of yourself. This means doing some form of exercise daily whether it’s going to the gym, a walk, yoga or bike riding. Our bodies need to keep moving, it helps to elevate levels of serotonin which is the “happiness hormone”. It is also important to watch what you put in your mouth. Items that are sold in packaging are what we call “non-food” items. The more processed foods you eat, the more sluggish you feel.
3. Choose to surround yourself with people who make you happy. It is amazing how many people we know that surround themselves with unhealthy, unkind people. This includes family. You have a choice in the people who you spend your time with. If you have people in your life that are unkind, absorbed in drama or just bitter and angry, stop hanging around them! It is better to have a few good people you spend your time with rather than many people who drain you. We give you full permission to decline family or any other invitations if they are not people you enjoy being with.
4. Choose to be grateful. We all have so much to be grateful for and opening your eyes to be able to see that will bring more to be grateful for. Happy people live in a state of gratitude regardless of what is going on in their lives. In times that are rough, you can still be grateful for the sun that shines each day or the food on the table. Choose gratitude!
5. Choose to be kind. There is enough hatred in the world to go around so start spreading kindness. Say a few nice words to the checker, stop gossiping, hold the door for someone behind you or give a smile and a wave to someone that lets you pass in front of them. Kindness is so simple and makes you feel good. Don’t expect anything in return, do it because you want to. Happy people are kind and selfless people.
6. Choose to accept life as it comes to you. The happiest people are able to accept things as they are. As soon as we start having expectations and allowing ourselves to be disappointed, it makes it hard to stay happy. Let things roll off your back like water on a duck. Accept things for what they are and know that everything is happening exactly as it is supposed to. The quicker you can let go of trying to control things, the happier you will be.
7. Choose to Enjoy Life. Happiness comes from being able to enjoy life. Many people are so caught up in the routine of work, home, family that they don’t take the time to enjoy life. Happy people enjoy life despite their daily routine. Anyone can have fun running errands, working out and just relaxing at home.