Hellerau Electric Light Bulbs

Hellerau and the end of the electric light bulb

In 1911 Festspielhaus Hellerau (Hellerau Theatre) was opened as an avantgarde theatre building and “Institute for Music and Rhythmics”. The architect Heinrich Tessenow also designed the so-called cone-pendular-lights for the two rehearsal halls. Each hall is equipped with a group of 49 of those lights, making a total of 98 electric light bulbs. Exactly 98 years after the opening, in 2009, the European Union ushered the end of the electric bulb. Until September 2012 bulbs will gradually disappear from the market and be replaced by new low energy light-bulbs. The four photographs of one Tessenow-cone-pendular-lights group were taken in November 2008 and capture the beginning of the end of the electric bulbs. Two of them are already broken.

BINE019VYR sleeve

Hellerau 1: The end of the electric light bulb

Einfaches RGB

Hellerau 2: The end of the electric light bulb

Hellerau 3

Hellerau 3: The end of the electric light bulb

Einfaches RGB

Hellerau 4: The end of the electric light bulb